Reading Ireland month 2024


Reading Ireland month is an annual event curated by Cathy of 746 Books.

Cathy is a prolific blogger who also works full time as the Arts Programmer at the Seamus Heany HomePlace in Bellaghy, County Londonderry. She's also a reviewer - and the mother of twins. How does she do it? I have no idea..., but do it she does, and Reading Ireland has become a fixture in many readers' calendars, mine included. 

The idea of Reading Ireland (otherwise known as Begorrathon) - is that between 1 and 31 March, you read any and as many Irish books as you like, then write about them - either on your own blog, or in the comments of Cathy's own blog post on her 746 Books website here: https://746books.com/.

Books can be by Irish writers, or set in Ireland, or indeed have any connection to Irish culture. You are also free to write about Irish films, food, travel, theatre and anything else about which you have something to say. 

Cathy has not only created a Facebook page for the month - https://www.facebook.com/begorrathon/ - she's even made a Spotify playlist - https://open.spotify.com/playlist/3Bw2vo1AXVolLqw4pBhBOr - how's that for dedication? 

I always enjoy digging out the books that I might read for this challenge, and I'm constantly surprised by how many I find languishing unread on my shelves (I try to stick to books I already own for this one.) This year I had to take photos of them in two separate stacks - here they are:





I'd be happy reading any of these books, but realistically, and especially as Dewithon, aka Welsh reading month, is also starting on 1 March, I don't expect to get through more than 5, or 6 at most. I'm aiming to start with Edna's O'Brien's COUNTRY GIRL - after that, who knows?



I'm currently especially drawn to Lucy Caldwell's THESE DAYS, which I heard in abridged version on BBC Sounds, and William Trevor's DEATH IN SUMMER, but I may well change track. 



Incidentally, the Derek Cooper book is there because, although the late and much loved original presenter of Radio 4's Food Programme came from London, SNAIL EGGS AND SAMPHIRE, a collection of his writings, includes several essays on Irish culinary matters, eg 'The Ballymaloe Experience', 'Crubeens in Cork' and 'The Staples of Ireland.' 




I've also chosen three films to watch over the month.

I first saw THE MAGDALENE SISTERS, Peter Mullan's blistering indictment of the infamous Magdalene laundries, when it came out over 20 years ago. Having recently listened to Claire Keegan's SMALL THINGS LIKE THESE (again on Sounds) I feel the film is due for a re-watch.




BROOKLYN, based on Colm Toibin's novel and starring Saoirse Ronan, is another wonderful film, which will also be a welcome re-watch for me.

I have never seen THE WIND THAT SHAKES THE BARLEY, which is directed by Ken Loach and stars Cillian Murphy. It's set in 1920s County Cork, during the Irish War of Independence and the Irish Civil War. Most of my minimal knowledge of that period comes from the novels of Molly Keane and Elizabeth Bowen, and I'm keen to learn more. 

I've been introduced to so many great writers in previous Reading Ireland months, so I'm very much looking forward to this one. If you're interested in taking part have a look at Cathy's blog - all the information you need is there (including lots of author suggestions), but really there are few rules - just find a book and start reading!

Comments

  1. What a fabulous selection of possible reads, Rosemary! I haven't read William Trevor's Death in Summer, but Love and Summer (nestling at the bottom of your first pile) is excellent - probably one of my favourites in a very strong field. Lucy Caldwell's These Days is beautiful, too, and well worth reading in full even though you've already listened to the abridged version on Sounds. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jacqui. I’m trying to participate in Dewithon as well (typical of two saints to have their days in the same month!) so I’m reading every minute I can in March.

      Delete
  2. Many good choices here! I just read that the Irish actor Cillian Murphy from Oppenheimer is going to play the father in Small Things Like These film. When you're hot, you're hot!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts