My Reading Month - April


I haven't read this many books in a month since I was a child.  The world is full of anxiety just now, and I know many people are finding it hard to read anything, but I must be shallow, or at least easily distracted, as I have found books the perfect escape from the world outside.

My reading has been quite varied, I think. It's included mysteries old and new, village sagas, school stories, romances, a brilliant psychological thriller that took me right out of my comfort zone, and even an excellent collection of writing by the first ever writer-in-residence at a Scottish football club. (And I only started the latter because I couldn't reach anything else without annoying Gracie - it's amazing how much I can appreciate once I'm made to open my mind to new possibilities!)

I also very much enjoyed taking part in the #1920Club, for which Angela Brazil's The Princess of the School provided the perfect story. If anyone else would like to join in, the year for October's club will be 1956; see Simon's blog, Stuck in a Book or Kaggy's, Kaggsy's Bookish Ramblings for details.

My top reads this month were Iain Maitland's The Scribbler, Thomas Cradock's Selkirk FC vs the World, Rumer Godden's The Battle of the Villa Fiorita (which I didn't like at first but I'm glad I persevered) and Jennifer Ryan's The Chilbury Ladies' Choir - but I wouldn't give any of my April books less than three stars, they have all been wonderful companions in these strange times.

Comments

  1. A varied stack! I've had bad luck with Godden in the past so am glad to hear you say it was worth persevering - perhaps I just haven't given her enough of a chance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts