A Redbird Christmas by Fannie Flagg



I had had this book on my shelves for far too long. I didn't know what to expect, as although I have seen the film of Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistlestop Cafe, it was so long ago that I can hardly even remember the plot, though I know I enjoyed it.

A Redbird Christmas turned out, in any case, to be completely different. It's about a washed-up divorced man, Oswald Campbell, living in a men's hostel in Chichago, who is told by his doctor that unless he moves to a warmer climate he will be dead in a few months time.

By a series of coincidences Oswald ends up in the tiny hamlet of Lost River, Alabama. Lost River is populated by some interesting characters, in particular Frances Clevedon, who arranges Oswald's lodgings with her friend Betty, Frances's outspoken sister Mildred, Claude Underwood, postman and best fisherman on the river, and Claude's friend Roy Grimmit, who runs the local store. Roy has adopted an injured redbird and called him Jack.

This is a lovely, gentle story about Oswald's life at Lost River, his growing friendships, his appreciation of the river, its wildlife and its beauty. But unlike some similar books, A Redbird Christmas also has a plot; Patsy, a ragged little girl with a deformed leg, turns up at the store one day and eventually befriends Jack. Patsy lives a sad and loveless life in a run down trailer in the woods. Roy, Oswald, Frances, and before long the entire community, decide to help Patsy, and after fundraisers, potluck Alabama suppers, and a few near misses with the authorities, they carry out a bold, hilarious and necessary deception to bring their plans to fruition.

It's also the story of Lost River's relationship with the Creole people on the other side of the river, where they have lived since the 1700s, of how that relationship went wrong, and how it is finally healed. The issue of land rights and appropriation is touched on, but what the story is really about is friendship, support and love.

In a lesser author's hands A Redbird Christmas might have been cloying and twee (indeed that was one of the thoughts that probably held me back from reading it earlier), but Fannie Flagg writes so well that I enjoyed every word of this wonderful little book.


Comments

  1. I love the sound of this! And as I'm doing a personal challenge to read a book from every state in the USA (ongoing since 2011 would you believe?) and don't have anything for Alabama yet I will make a note of it. Trying to think where I've heard of Fanny Flagg... I don't think it's in connection with Fried Green Tomatoes. Anyway, I will add it to my '2021 plans' shelf on Goodreads. I can't believe I'm already deciding what I should read next year. The Towers of Trebizond is lined up by the way. Trying to alter my reading habits slightly for 2021.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Cath. I didn’t expect to enjoy this as much as I did. I see that on Goodreads, while most people loved it, a few really could not stand it, so I suppose you need to be in the right mood (but I’m not entirely sure why those people read it in the first place!).

    And I do hope you enjoy The Towers of Trebizond. I was listening to one of Simon & Rachel’s podcast (‘Tea or Books?’) yesterday, and Simon said he tried some of Rose Macaulay’s other books and been disappointed by them . I do have some more of them too, but maybe I should just stick with TTOT as I don’t want to be disillusioned.

    The idea of reading a book from every state is a great one. How many have you still to do? And yes, it does seem quite startling to realise it’s already time to think about next year’s reading - but at the same time, I do enjoy this kind of planning.

    What kind of alterations are you contemplating?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's funny but I too wonder why some people bother to read books they know they won't like and then cheerfully leave negative comments on Goodreads. Seems a strange way to behave to me.

      Hmm, that's a tricky one when you read what might be an author's best book first and subsequent titles prove to be not as good. It's happened to me, I must admit.

      I've read books from 25 states so far. In some case two or three and in fact that's the aim, to read a variety. So, still a long way to go. Here's my last post about it: https://read-warbler.blogspot.com/2020/02/my-50-states-american-challenge.html

      Well, I do enjoy a bit of crime fiction as you know but there's more to life than that. And when I do read other kinds of fiction I find I really enjoy it and so I plan to read a bit less mayhem and murder and more like The Village which you recommended to me last year. So I'll be keeping an eye on your reviews!

      Delete
  3. Thanks Cath.

    I certainly like keeping an eye on your reviews too - so many great suggestions. And I agree about getting into a reading rut. I was just looking through the little notebook in which I record what I've read (my younger daughter gave it to me in 2007!) and I can see that I go through phases of reading only 1950s novels - but much as I love them , I enjoy them more when I inject a bit of variety and read some more modern (or even some older) books in between.

    I'm going to read your post about books from the states. I'm still pondering a theme for my 2021 reading - I thought of concentrating only on Scottish books, either set here or written by Scottish writers, but I wonder if that would be too narrow. Not sure yet. Maybe I should do a sort of Celtic rotation of a book from Scotland, one from Wales, one from Ireland and one from Brittany - but I'm not sure how many I could find to fit Brittany (the two I've used in this month's 6 degrees are the only ones I can think of, but I'm sure there are more - I'd better have a look at Trip Fiction.)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts